DesignPro Renewables is a new start-up within the DesignPro Organisation. In May 2017, DesignPro successfully secured funding through the European Commission’s H2020 programme for a €2.7 million project to develop out an innovative range of hydrokinetic turbines primarily for river applications. The project is now 7 months in and significant milestones have already been made. The first, full-scale 25kw turbine is currently in development and is scheduled to be deployed in France in April 2018. This will be followed by the build and deployment of a 60kw turbine later in the year. Following testing, both of these devices will then be commercially deployed for ongoing testing and training.
This dedicated sister branch has ambitious goals to make a real difference and help solve the world’s energy crisis by progressing green energy. Our turbines generate clean, predictable energy from flowing water in rivers and estuaries thanks to 2 unique, patented concepts. We plan to take these turbines through the final development phase and to full commercialisation by October 2019.
DesignPro Renewables now has an exciting opportunity for a Business Development Associate to join our expanding team. The successful candidate will be given a unique, hands-on opportunity to work in the industry of hydrokinetic renewables.
Business Development Associate
The Business Development Associate will be joining the Sales and Marketing division of the team which is made up of a Sales and Marketing Manager and also a Sales and Marketing Executive. The role is pre-sales and technically focused with a key responsibility being the research, evaluation and selection of suitable deployment sites for both the 25kw and 60kw machines. The Business Development Associate must have a thorough understanding of the product and how it works as well as the requirements for successful deployments and must be able to combine both technical understanding of the product with commercial, market-based knowledge on the needs and issues currently facing the industry.
We are looking for an individual who will help to bridge the gap between Marketing and Engineering. They should have a good engineering or science based background but also understand the fundamentals of business and ideally marketing. They will be responsible for researching, identifying and developing beneficial business opportunities and leads that are in line with the project’s vision and goals.
The associate must be willing to travel to meet with potential users of the device as well as evaluating potential deployment sites. Identifying suitable partners and suppliers and developing strong business relationships is a key area of responsibility for this role. We regularly get enquiries and interest from potential users of the site and it will be the Associate’s responsibility to deal with these enquiries and ensure data and info is tracked and recorded correctly. As the only role within the team dedicated to Business Development, the Associate will be responsible for sourcing prospects, following up on business opportunities, setting-up meetings, preparing presentations and sales pitches as well as sharing product developments to prospective clients.
- Third level engineering, science or another technically-based qualification.
- Excellent research skills, experience in a research-based role an advantage (masters or thesis project).
- Experience directly in renewables or energy generation a distinct advantage.
- Passionate about renewable energy and ‘doing your bit’ towards addressing climate change.
- Self-motivated individual with a deadline-oriented focus and ability to work on own initiative.
- Customer service or experience dealing with customers an advantage but not strict requirement.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Computer skills – Highly competent in all basic computer applications, excel, word etc.
- Personable, outgoing and friendly individual who genuinely enjoys dealing with people and building relationships.
- Willing to travel and flexible approach towards working hours when needed.
- Excellent, fluent level of English both written and spoken is essential.
- Fluency in another language, especially French would be an advantage but is not a strict requirement.
- Technically minded with ability to gain thorough understanding of product and industry.
- Research and identify suitable river test sites for 25kw and 60kw turbine deployments.
- Research and identify suitable river commercial deployment sites for both the 25kw and 60kw devices following successful testing stages.
- Create database of potential deployment sites in a variety of locations.
- Market analysis work looking into overall deployment potential for 25kw and 60kw devices.
- Research funding and development opportunities for the project.
- Community engagement work, promoting project on the ground.
- Identifying partners, stakeholders, suppliers etc. and building out relationships and opportunities with these groups.
- Heavy use of company CRM (Customer Relationship Management) tool keeping online database of the project’s network up to date and organised.
- Travel to events, networking and bringing a more technical aspect to sales/promotional meetings.
To apply for this role please submit your CV along with a tailored cover letter explaining why you feel you would be a suitable fit to email@example.com or contact Paula Power on +353 (0)69 63842 for further information.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 28th January, 2018.
Interviews are scheduled to be held at DesignPro from the 29th January – 7th February.
Planned start date for this position is Monday 26th February, 2018.